Are you looking for a light desert that is simple to make? This Apple Gateau recipe is mild and sweet. Perfect when you want a more delicately flavored desert. The batter texture makes me think of a custard with apples in it.
I made this Apple Gateau recipe recently for my mother using all organic ingredients for a Christmas cake. The recipe was simple to throw together and the cake was very tasty. It was nice that all of the ingredients were pretty common. I did not want to go to the store, but I wanted something special to make.
This recipe would also do really well at a family gathering, potluck, or just as a special treat. This is a great treat to serve cold straight from the fridge.
Note that I used Gala apples for my apple gateau. The type of apple that you use will impact the outcome – granny smith for example would have a much ‘crisper’ taste. I wanted something more smooth and balanced (and I had gala apples on hand).
Make sure that you add the nuts on top of the apple gateau. You can choose to go with some other nut, but the crisp nuts contrasts really nicely with the velvety gateau filling.
Apple Gateau Recipe
- 2 apples ( I used gala for a milder flavor)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk plus a splash more
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Peel and core apples. Slice into slices about 1/8 " thick. Place in bowl of water while prepping batter, submerging as many apple slices as possible.
- For batter, in separate bowl mix eggs and sugar together. Add milk and melted butter. Add most of the flour to batter. Take remaining flour and add cinnamon to it. Stir the remaining flour / cinnamon briefly to mix, then add to the batter. Stir batter until mixed.
- Drain apples, then add to batter. Stir batter gently to cover apples. Spray a pie tin with non-stick cooking spray. Add apple batter to the pie tin, spreading mixture evenly. Cover liberally with sliced almonds.
- Bake at 340° F for 15 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Let Apple Gateau cool completely before serving. Best served room temperature or cold.